- Mosquitoes like all insects have three (3) body parts: head, thorax, and abdomen.
- All insects have three sets of legs (6).
- Insects can have one or two sets of wings depending on the species.
- Mosquitoes belong to the order Diptera ("Di = two; hence two wings).
- Most insects have a hard chitonous exoskeleton (no bones).
- Insects do not have lungs. They instead breathe through spiricles (openings into the thoracic or abdominal cavities).
- Mosquitoes begin their life in the water as a larva.
Click here to learn more about the mosquito lifecycle
Click here to learn about mosquito habitat